A smaller World War I

Or, where is Kirk Douglas when you really need him?

En avant. Nice little chaps advancing over some really bad basing

En avant. Nice little chaps advancing over some really bad basing

As we have seen before, the local mob are currently in pursuit of a scale for building late WWI armies. We have had 15-18mm, and now it is time to look at 10mm. I have tried 6mm in the past, and found them too small to be satisfactory for me, so 10mm is a little as I care to go. I must say I approached the whole thing with a great deal of reluctance, almost bordering on trepidation.

First up was Magister Militum, from whom I got a bunch of poilu.

They really are nice figures. And the size allows them to be placed on the bases interestingly

They really are nice figures. And the size allows them to be placed on the bases interestingly

The first pleasant surprise was the price. the chaps are really a lot more inexpensive then even 15mm, and a pleasure to deal with in a financial sense compared to the 25/28mm I am accustomed to stockpiling unpainted.

Second pleasant surprise: they are very clean with decent detail on them. The only file and knife work I had to do was on the bottom of their bases, which is excellent, because I hate cleaning lead. The figures were well moulded, with good detail and of the whole batch only one with an outstretched arm had a moulding defect. Really very nice.

They primed well, and were a treat to block paint, wash, and highlight. The whole process was quick and enjoyable. the figures are portrayed in marching order (with a backpack) rather than combat order (with a blanket roll) but this does not matter to me, and gives a few more details to give character to the figures. Really I could not be happier with them.

And when I went to base them, my trepidation came home to roost. The standard methods I am accustomed to use on 15mm and 25mm were just not suitable.

The machine guns. Unfortunate there was only 5, so I made up the numbers with a chauchat

The machine guns. Unfortunately there was only 5, so I made up the numbers with a chauchat

I needed to build up the base because the plinths the individual figures are on are in proportion, quite large,  but I had a terribly hard time coming up with something that had a little texture to it, that did not look like the poor guys were advancing over an old lava flow or a cobblestoned street. Therefore the bases on this lot, as can be seen, are pretty darn bad.   I think I can resolve the issue for the next lot, but clearly it will require mucking around.

To summarise : easier to paint than expected, nice figures, and I need to work on my scenery.

Advertisements

2 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s